Heartland Family Ministries
Thursday, March 30, 2017
Where Jesus Is Lord!
International Students Letter
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT PROGRAM
To: Prospective International Students
From: Pastor David Baker – Superintendent of Heartland Christian School
If you are reading this letter you must be interested in attending Heartland Christian School. I know that the prospect of leaving home and living in a new country with a new family must be very daunting and for that reason, we’ve posted some information on our website for you.
Heartland has existed for over 30 years and in that time, we have had more than 60 international students in our school. Some of these students have been able to complete an American high school diploma and have elected to attend a university in the United States. Others have not, but each of these students has had a positive experience. In fact, two of those students stayed in the U.S. to finish a university degree and have been teachers in our school.
Here are some factors to consider when thinking about whether to attend here:
1. We have a lot of experience dealing with and helping international students, so we know how to help you adjust.
2. In addition to your international student organization's screening of potential host families, we select the families that host international students in our school. These families are chosen because they are very involved in the school already and offer homes that are loving, supportive, and inclusive.
3. Our small size offers you the opportunity to participate in many different activities. At larger schools, many international students are not able to participate in extra-curricular activities because of the nature of being in a school for just one year. We make it a priority to give international students the opportunity to participate in sports, fine arts, drama and other programs.
4. We are fully accredited so the credits you earn here are accepted by any university in the U.S. and depending on your school in your home country, may be transferable toward graduation at home.
5. Our students and teachers look forward to sharing their school with you. They are open and inclusive. Some schools do not have students or teacher that are receptive to inviting new people from other cultures to be a part of their programs, but that is not true of our school.
6. Some years, we offer two optional trips for international students. In the first semester, students have the opportunity to travel to St. Louis, Missouri. In the second semester, students placed in the senior class may elect to travel to Washington, D.C. on our Senior Class Trip.
7. Heartland High School was presented with EF’s High School of the Year Award in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Out of 2000 high schools that accept EF students, ours was recognized for the excellent environment that we provide to international students.
We hope that you consider attending Heartland Christian School and we look forward to hearing from you.
Superintendent of Schools